Thursday, April 7, 2011

Gaming, VR, and Simulations

This week we discussed gaming and how gaming and VR affect learning. Second life was one of the things discussed in our group. If you don't know what second life is see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3gHCupXSMs

Learning in this environment can be challenging or easy depends on the person. How gaming affects learning is very interesting me considering I have son that are heavy gamers. It shows them a pseduo world and that can be very hard to explain, as a parent. I don't know but I don't want my child transfering his actions in the game to real life! What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Comments keep not posting! How terribly frustrating.

    Of course second life isn't appropriate for a small child. I don't think anyone is saying it is. But there are other, more kid-friendly options out there that might be appropriate to start introducing them to the concept of real life versus the game - Wizard101 is a favorite of mine, especially because it's free to play and pretty obvious that there's a difference from life in game and "real" life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry Christina for giving you with a lot of comments on your blog at a time :) There are so many things to do. This is the hardest semester ever, for me. I should've taken only 2 courses for this semester. I now just realized how difficult it is to have a kid who is started to crawl and stand, but at the same time you have to go to school :(

    Back to the topic....
    I'm glad that learning has come to various way, including from game (i.e. serious game). But, I am still worried to let my children to learn with serious game, because game is fun and addicting. I think I need to find other way to learn besides gaming. Even until I become an adult now, I sometimes couldn't control my self in playing games. Even though I know the game that I play is also very good to improve my English :) It was scrabble, the game that I played.

    ReplyDelete