Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Open Source Software

I agree that there are many great opportunities with open source software, it does provide us opportunities to tap into the knowledge of other people in the world. However, I am not a big fan of Linux, perhaps that is because I am a windows baby. I was around to see the development of windows and used windows 3.1. I am dating my age, but I was a young one then. :)

I have worked with people in the past who would never use anything but open source and I understand more now than then why open source is important. I realize that using the world's knowledge to more powerful than a team of programmers programming in a basement of Microsoft. I don't want to say either OS is better they just have different ways of development. I guess I am open minded when it comes to this. I think the idea of open high school (link on the class site) is a great idea.

Open source resource for the week...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9fqlI9B6QU

2 comments:

  1. I switch back and forth between OSX, Windows, and Linux on a fairly regular basis. I really don't prefer one over the other; it really depends on the appropriate tool for the job. I would NOT want to use Windows for a Web server. I ALSO would not want to try getting any of the games I play to work in Linux.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is, I don't like “Commercial Application Software”. It's so expensive for people who come from developing country like me. For average people, the living cost in my city is $150 – $200 each month. Many people have salary which can only be used to pay your living cost and rent a boarding house. No wonder if illegal software is widely used. But, nowadays I guess some of them already started to use open source like linux and ubuntu. Thanks to open source supporter who made technology affordable :)

    Thanks Christina, for sharing the video.

    ReplyDelete